The kidneys perform a crucial task of filtering and removing waste and extra fluid from the blood which are eliminated from our body through the urine. But when the kidneys fail to perform their function efficiently, it can cause major health concerns. If you notice any odd symptom which is alarming, connect with the nephrologist at the earliest. He/she may recommend some kidney function tests to identify the cause of the problem
What does your kidney actually do?
Healthy kidneys perform the following crucial functions:
- Balance the body’s fluid levels
- Filters and eliminates waste products and toxins from the blood
- Activate vitamin D to maintain strong and healthy bones
- Stimulates hormones that control the production of red blood cells
- Produce hormones that regulate blood pressure
- Keep blood minerals (potassium, sodium, phosphorus) in balance
Tips to improve your kidney health
The kidneys are vital organs that affect other body parts. Kidney ailment puts stress on your cardiovascular system including the heart, blood vessels and blood. Nephrologist recommend the following tips for keeping your kidneys in a healthy shape and avoiding any kidney disorder:
- Stay active and exercise regularly – Walk, run or do yoga. Regular exercise not only helps in toning the body muscles but also can reduce the risk of obesity, control your blood pressure and improve your heart health which puts less pressure in the kidneys.
- Drink a lot of water – Water helps clear the toxins from your body. Maintain regular and consistent intake of water to help the kidneys function smoothly.
- Eat a balanced diet – Eating a balanced and nutritious diet can help prevent many kidney ailments. Include fruits, green leafy veggies, legumes, healthy fats, fish, cereals and whole grains in your diet. Also, check and limit your daily sodium intake.
- Use over-the-counter medications and supplements with caution as some can damage the kidney.
- Regular check-up – Anyone with a family history of kidney disorder, or has high blood pressure, or is diabetic or obese should consider regular kidney check-up to rule out any kidney disorder.
If you are looking for the best nephrologist in delhi, then get in touch with Dr. Vikram Kalra.